An Animal Parable Bible Lesson – Peter And A Coin Carrying Fish
Ask the animals and they will teach you — Job 12:7 NLT
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. — Ephesians 2:10 NIV
This Bible devotion is intended to be used with the children’s story, Tasha, The Catch Of The Day. Jesus often taught people using parables. In the same way, these stories and devotions are written to teach Bible truths to kids, teens, and people of all ages. Read the concepts below and look up the Bible verses associated with each one. Use the faith building exercise to build your faith.
When the tax collectors asked Peter whether or not Jesus paid the Temple tax, he told them Jesus did. As the Son of God, Jesus was exempt. But Jesus did not want to offend anyone so he sent Peter on a most unusual fishing trip. This Animal Parable is the story of the fish that delivered the coin to pay their taxes. You can read the real story in your Bible at Matthew 17:24-27.
Tasha, The Catch Of The Day – Key Concepts
A Parable About Faithfully Serving God
1. Tasha wanted to serve God. This was her passion. She faithfully waited on God to reveal His plan for her life. Are you living for yourself, or are you searching for God’s will? Give God a chance. He has a perfect plan for you!
2. God had given Tasha a dream and a desire to serve Him. Tasha believed it and shared it with her friends. They didn’t understand or know God the way Tasha did. So instead of agreeing with Tasha, they laughed at her. Sometimes it may be best to keep your dreams between you and God. If you tell others, be prepared to face some ridicule. But if your friends do laugh, simply do what Tasha did, smile and walk away. Don’t let their unbelief or fear change what you know is true.
3. As Tasha continued to pray and speak faith-filled words, her faith grew. Before long, her dream had to happen just as she believed. That’s how faith works. As you continue to speak and pray God’s Word, faith builds in your heart (or spirit). When you believe in your heart that God’s Word is true in your life, you will have what you pray or say. Why don’t you get started today!
4. When Jesus told Peter what to do and Peter acted on Jesus’ words, their faith activated the spiritual realm. God had to make everything happen just as Jesus had said. Only God could have known where a coin was in the Sea of Galilee that would be the exact amount of tax owed. And only God could have commanded a fish that would be ready to retrieve it and deliver to Peter. God miraculously supplied Peter’s needs and He will supply everything you need as well. All He is waiting on is for you to have the faith to believe He will do what He says He will.
5. God told Tasha to bite Peter’s hook. Tasha knew that when she bit the hook, that she might lose her life and so she was afraid. But God quickly told her that He would protect her. Fear is the opposite of faith. In reality, it is faith in the devil. If you have filled your heart with God’s Word, you will never be afraid of anything. God’s love will push out all fear.
6. Tasha asked God why she was selected. God told her that she was the only one who would listen and obey. In this hectic world it is very easy to forget to spend time in prayer or fellowship with God. Make sure you make this a priority. God is speaking to you, are you listening?
7. After Tasha delivered the coin, she didn’t just go back to living a normal life. She wanted to serve God even more. Once you start seeing God’s love in action, it will make you hungry for even more. Spend some time studying God’s Word today. God loves you and wants to make your life wonderful.
Putting It All Together
God has a special plan for your life.
Reading the Bible, praying, attending church, and worshipping God will prepare you for whatever God has planned for you.
If God tells you to do something, don’t ever be afraid. He will protect you if you trust Him.
God wants to talk to you. Make sure you are listening.
Faith Building Exercise
Say these out loud every day until you believe them in your spirit. They will build your faith. Look up these verses and read them as they appear in your Bible. You can always trust God’s Word because He cannot lie.
God is love. God loves me. Love never fails!
(Deuteronomy 23:5; 1 Corinthians 13:8; 1 John 4:8)
I love God and obey His voice.
God is with me. No man can hurt me.
I do the will of God. I receive all that He promised.
I listen to the Lord and live in safety. I fear no evil.
God gives me the power to carry out His good plan for me.
To learn more, click here: Coin Carrying Fish
Search for Other Christian Web Sites.